What is Baptism all about?
Baptist is a declaration of your new relationship in Jesus Christ. It is a response to following Jesus and a first step of obedience. Baptism does not have anything to do with your faith in Jesus Christ but is a symbolic act representing your new relationship with God.
Why should I be baptized?
1. Jesus commanded it. (Matthew 28:19-20).
2. It is a significant Milestone. Baptism is a point in your life when you make your walk with Jesus Christ public. It is a milestone to remember in your path of following God.
What is the meaning of baptism?
1. You identify with Christ’s burial and resurrection from the dead. (Colossians 2:12)
2. You declare your new life as a Christian. In the years following Jesus’ resurrection, the early church would baptize new believers in a river or lake. Before entering the water, the new believer would take their outer garment off. They would be baptized and then given a new outer garment when they came out of the water. This act was symbolic of the passing of the old life and the person being made new in Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:7)
Why should I be baptized by immersion?
Different denominations of the Christian faith baptize differently. We ask that Scripture be your guide as you follow Christ in every decision including Baptism. Being baptized by immersion simply means that you are totally immersed under water (though not for long).
1. Jesus was baptized by immersion (Matthew 3:16).
2. Every Baptism in the Bible was by immersion (Acts 8:38-39).
3. The greek word “baptizo” literally means, “to immerse”.
If you have further questions about the meaning of baptism, please contact our pastor at 513-561-5213.